Monday, June 21, 2010

My Very First Triathlon Part 1

...and boy was it a doozie.

Several friends were doing this triathlon as well, so everyone gathered at our house the night before for some carbo loading and a glass or two of wine.  Sufficiently fortified, we retired early, as the tri was about an hour away, necessitating a 5 a.m. wake-up call and being on the road by 5:30.  I picked up my packet, which was pretty exciting.  I've only ever done road races, so attaching my number to my new pink race belt, and affixing the seemingly endless series of numbers to my helmet, bag, and bike. 

We arrived early, and found that it was a really nice park where the event was being held.  Fernandina Beach is a small and pretty beach community that does a fair share of its trade in the tourist industry.  The park sported full bathroom facilities and outdoor showers, which were both really exciting discoveries.  There was also plenty of available parking.

I checked in and got body-marked for the first time.  Always fun to have a stranger write all over you in sharpie.  Attaching my timing chip to my ankle was strange.  I kept trying to shake it off, it felt so foreign there.

It was interesting setting up my first transition area.  I think I did pretty well though.  That at least was nothing like my swim....

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment