Sunday, June 6, 2010

Intense Weekend Training

It's Sunday afternoon, and I'm pretty wiped out.  Tomorrow is a rest day, which I am incredibly excited about.  I'm feeling good about training so far, but I'm definitely ready for a free day.
I started the weekend with a 10 mile ride on Friday night.  I gave blood Friday morning, so riding in the heat was maybe not the best idea, but I'm occasionally more stubborn than smart.  I rode PVB, and there was a strong wind out of the South, which was pretty brutal heading down, but a beautiful thing on the way back.
Saturday morning we started with a beach swim.  It was a gorgeous day, and we did a bit of shorter distance than prior weekends, about 600 meters.  I was also able to spend some time working on my stroke.  Thus far, swimming has felt like I am sort of flopping my arms into the water with each stroke.  Saturday morning was a great lesson from Elton in what my stroke should actually be, and how to best manage my breathing and efficiency in the water. 
The swim took a lot out of me, which I realized about twenty minutes after we finished.  I came home and took a nap, which I have not done in quite some time!  But I had to rest up...I still had four miles to run.
I watched some of the Chi Running video before my afternoon run.  I'm really fascinated by the alignment technique they recommend.  I tried it throughout my run, and I have to say, I'm impressed.  By being cognizant of my body's alignment while I ran, my lungs felt more open, my abs felt tighter, and my stride felt much better.  I have begun to struggle with shin splints again, and despite the KT Tape application, I still had to come home and ice.  I'm crossing my fingers they don't get worse.  Overall, it was really hot.  Elton carried a bottle of water, and played coach, which is incredibly helpful with all of this.  I'm grateful we have this time before he starts training again for his next Ironman 70.3.
And finally, this morning, I did an 18 mile bike ride, down PVB again, and then onto A1A and back.  It was hot (of course) and humid, but overall it was a nice ride.  We kept the pace pretty light, about 16.5 mph the whole way.

Icing my leg, post-run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment