Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taper Week

Here we are, the last week  before my tri.  I can't believe it's already here.  In a few days, I will be getting in the car and driving to North Carolina for my first Olympic distance triathlon.

Last Thursday, my rented wetsuit from wetsuitrental.com came in, and I'm very impressed with price and quality.  I got a sleeveless wetsuit for the event.  I have never in my life worn a wetsuit.  In putting it on for the first time, I feel that I now have an intimate understanding of what a sausage must feel like.  I took it to the beach Sunday night, and with the help of a lot of Body Glide and Elton, got the suit on.  Once its on, it feels great, just the getting into it that's tough.  We went to the beach right before evening storms, so there weren't too many people there, and the temperature had cooled down a bit. Being in the water with the suit was a really strange sensation.  Once I got used to it though, I loved the buoyancy and the slightly unnatural ability to float so well.  It was also a beautiful evening, which helped a lot.

This past weekend also marked my last long run and ride before my tri.  I did six miles in Atlantic Beach on Saturday morning with Elton and another friend, and Sunday did 30 miles in Ponte Vedra Beach and Nocatee.  Both were tough, but satisfying, and helped solidify the feeling of readiness in anticipation of this weekend.  Only a couple more workouts before I'm on the road.

I will be using Elton's tri bag for the event, so I will be packing that up tonight.  Get excited!

Last week's training report:

No comments:

Post a Comment